This live meeting has ended. A recording of this presentation will be available after the conference.
IMSH Delivers Sessions
Prehospital to the Emergency Room: Simulating the Continuum of Care (Tactical Medical Solutions)
Start time: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 10:00 AM End time: Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 11:00 AM Session Type: Learning Labs
Many simulation centers bear the important responsibility of training both prehospital and emergency room personnel. The curriculums and training objectives for each environment can be significantly different, yet frequently overlap. Setting the conditions to support continuum of care training from point of injury to the emergency room is a valuable skill for simulation centers supporting an integrated emergency response system. The presenter will lead participants through a needs analysis designed to enhance a simulation centers ability to support blended prehospital and emergency room simulation response based on lessons learned developing simulation training for the United States Army and NATO Special Forces.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants will be able to:
1. Identify unique learning objectives for prehospital medical professionals in the setting of trauma response.
2. Identify unique learning objectives for emergency room personnel in the setting of trauma response.
3. Identify shared learning objectives across the continuum of care.
4. Evaluate barriers to conducting continuity of care simulation.
5. Evaluate opportunities and benefits for continuum of care simulation.
6. Consider ways to objectively measure training outcomes.
7. Consider potential return on investments.
Dr. Dan Irizarry, COL(R), MC, is a board certified family physician and Associate Professor of Family Medicine at the University of Central Florida Medical School. Dr. Irizarry served 26 year in the United States Army primarily in the special operations and prehospital care arena. He is credited with establishing the NATO Special Operations Headquarters Allied Center for Medical Education, a fully immersive simulation center that continues to support training in the point of injury, enroute evacuation, and surgical environments for NATO and US Forces. Today, Dr. Irizarry is the medical director at an Orlando, Florida, family medicine clinic and the clinical advisor to Tactical Medical Solutions, Inc.